Toileting for rectocele - need advice after watching video/trying lopo

Body: 

Hey Ladies!

I am posting a whole bunch because I have a week off, lol, so sorry for the flood. I'm studying the whole woman stuff to really get it learned so I can go back into daily life with more ability to use it.

I've been practicing the toileting posture since watching the toileting video a while ago, and I'm struggling a bit. I can't get my abdomen to rest on my thighs for bowel movements. There's too much space there. I tried the Lopo position this morning and finally just removed the stool and put my hands on the floor. This seemed to mostly work. Has anyone tried this? Even with resting on the stool I wasn't getting the relaxed abdomen I needed. I have a retroverted uterus and rectocele, so there's a lot of stuff in the way when I'm trying to go. Maybe I stretched things out enough finally by touching the floor?

The problem is that I get rebound tension in my pelvic muscles after pushing (no matter what position), and yet I can't really get the bowel movement out without using a valsalva. I know Christine responded to another post of mine saying it was ok to do that valsalva while in toileting posture. But Louise has said no pushing. I'm not sure if it's that peristalsis isn't quite working fully (like, things get to the door but won't just swoop out every time - sometimes, but not always) or if this is a feature of prolapse. Help! I get rectal pain and buttock pain, and even tension in my thighs after doing this.

I'm having loose/mushy BM's right now due to taking magnesium. I'm wondering if it would all be easier if they were formed, but transitioning to that is really confusing. I've used magnesium for a while now to prevent any hard stools (was healing an anal fissure). Any advice or help would be great.

Hi violin,
I would keep practicing the Lopo as described by Louise, because it has helped so many get a better bowel movement. I would also suggest getting back into the exercises and take advantage of jiggling and firebreathing before and after a bowel movement. This really helps move those pelvic organs into a better position in the lower belly so they are not pressing on the rectum, creating the space for more acceptable evacuation.
Be careful with the magnesium. Too much can create an adverse affect. Maybe scale back on the dosage until you become more comfortable with a diet regiment that works for you?
I too had the retroverted uterus, and suffered with problems of a good evacuation, but with diligence with the whole woman work and dietary changes, I have tremendously comfortable bowel movements now. Also, rectocele can be affected by too loose of a stool as well as too hard, so keep that in mind.

It is natural and normal to increase pressure during a bowel movement. It will not harm you as long as you are in a good position and aren't straining. - Surviving

I so appreciate a success story! I'm going to keep "tremendously comfortable" as my intention! :-) That's a fabulous phrase. I am doing all the firebreathing, etc. but I like the before and after idea a lot. And I'll play with changing the magnesium. I needed to know if it was worth it before I dove in, as I'm nervous after dealing with a fissure.

Aging Gracefully, would you explain more of what you mean regarding how rectocele can be affected by too loose of a stool as well as too hard? Currently I feel stuck between a rock and a hard spot with managing my BMs. I take some extra magnesium (which my Dr. says actually relaxes everything to allow for smoother and softer evacuations), but there seems to be a lot of fluid in my bulge along with either ploppy poops or what I describe as poop soup. After I "go", the bulge completely recedes. However, if I cut back on the Magnesium, then it's back to straining (which I know is not good to do). And if I don't "go" enough to get rid of enough poo inside, my lower abdomen gets to feeling hard and full and heavy.

You mentioned too, dietary changes. Are you on a plant based only diet? I am not, although I don't overeat meat and I do eat lots of veggies (mostly homegrown) and fresh fruits. Unfortunately, it's the excess sugar (mostly in chocolate) that I struggle to eliminate from my diet. So I'm curious what dietary changes you've made that have resulted in your improvements.

Thank you for any follow up answers, as I know this post is older.

Hi Cecilly,
Everyone is different when it comes to diet, but I have also found through trial an error that eating too much food and having really full bowels regardless of what that food is can put unnecessary pressure on our pelvic organs. I don't think a little dark chocolate or and occasional treat is going to hurt anything, but too much can be highly inflammatory.
More food for thought.
I understand you have had a hysterectomy? Have you had a chance to looking into Christine's Hysterectomy program? You should find some more guidance there for your situation.

Thanks Aging gracefully for your reply. I have hesitated to delve into the Hysterectomy materials because I fear there is info about the terrible, negative, horrible, etc. etc. consequences of Hysterectomy, and honestly, this info (which I understand and agree with) upsets me terribly. I know these facts but there is absolutely nothing I can do to go back. This kind of info doesn't help those like me who've already had this surgery. It's been done. So I don't want to spend my money on something I will have to fast forward through to get to what will help me.

I don't know if this kind of info is actually in the video and materials. When I read about the ramifications of hyster. in the WW book, it threw me into despair. Can you tell me how much, if any, of this kind of info is present in the Hyster. program? This is what has held me back from investing in it.

Hi Cecilly,
I have viewed all the modules in this program, and I won't lie, there are a couple modules that do cover the surgeries indepthly, but if this is going to be a problem for you, you can skip over those modules. The program is set up in separate modules, if you look at the program details in the ww store, and you can easily go to the other modules as in the section on exercises for post hyst and living well tips, and you get the baton with this program. There are also some excellent bonus videos on gut health and vaginal health.
So, overall, this program is the most extensive and helpful way for our post hyst ladies to care for themselves without the fear of overdoing something or doing something in the wrong way.
Christine really does do a good job with this video series and covers everything very well.