Introduction, and a Pilates question

Body: 

Hello all--A newbie here. I am a 44-y/o mother of a 2-y/o boy. I had a cesarean. I am no more than 10 pounds overweight. I have none of the typical causes of cystocele, according to 2 doctors. Yet, I have one. I noticed it within the past 2 months, and the only thing I can think that may have started it was a few beginner Pilates mat classes I took in August at the gym at work. I searched the archives and it looks like I may be right...??

I am so frustrated that my little attempt to "get back in shape" actually may have harmed my body. I've taken ballet classes most of my life, but in the past 3 or 4 years, all my exercising has just stopped. I sit all day on my rear end (I'm an editor) and I have chronic lower back pain too. Everything is just sagging and gross and my butt is starting to look like a wide, flat satchel! Now this!

Anyway, the doctors both said surgery was an option, but I really could just live with it and see. They are so nonchalant about it. I even told the urologist about my dancing and he basically scoffed at me. He said that's like saying because you dance your intestines should be in good shape....well, shouldn't they??? Why is that so silly to think?

But, just like another wonderful internet forum helped me conceive my sweet son 3 years ago, I hope this new forum can help me repair the damage I may have done to my body. I'm so glad I found this place.

Hi Sue,

Welcome, and thanks for writing to us. Yes, your intestines should be in good shape from all your years of dancing, and in general the medical profession has a huge blind spot regarding what it means to be healthy!

It started as a theory of mine that exercises such as the core mat program of Pilates might not be good for women, but we

Dear Christine

Hi Sue,

Yes, prolapse is often less pronounced upon rising, given that it

Hi Sue

I just picked up on your question 3. That you "can't figure out why you are not in menopause".

Menopause is technically the moment when your body decides not to menstruate any more. In practice, I think the perimenopause, the period leading up to it, is much longer, several years in fact. I am now 52, still menstruating, but I can remember six or seven years ago thinking that things were starting to change, my periods were no longer all similar. All sorts of unpredictable, but OK things happened, or the bleed was a bit different, a patch of heavier bleeding than normal, a four day period where six was normal. Things like that. My periods have often been irregular during the whole time I've been fertile, so maybe I am just OK with things not being predictable and identical every month. There is an enormous variation on normal. I guess because my Mum finished menstruating at 55 I should expect something similar. So don't fret, your body will change when it's ready. Hopefully you'll get through this difficult patch OK, learn to manage it and improve the way you feel, and move into the next phase comfortably.

I think one of the things that is a bit distressing is that a 'prolapse you didn't know you had' is suddenly there, and it feels quite unpleasant and strange. In hindsight for me, I can see that some of the changes were related to the changing positions of both my bladder and my uterus, nothing to do with perimenopause at all. It was happening, but nobody told me. Had I known, and had Christine's techniques been around, I may never have ended up with a thing that had me considering the surgery that I have now said "No thanks" to in a very firm voice.

Cheers

""just rock up slightly onto your feet when you have to push while on the toilet. And do try to observe the seated positions as much as possible...""

I also find this "pushing up" is a wonderful means of tightening the area. I do a set of three to the count of seven whenever I am there. Firms up the entire area.

Still holding steady. Am post menopause four years and was prescribed estrogen. I think not. Don't want to borrow trouble with that hormone, given my progesterone is also on the decline.

Sybille

No message

Good to hear from you, Sybille! I know what you mean about the lifting off the seat - but why did it take us so long to figure it out?? Not to lessen our good fellow Jonathan's work and help in this matter, but I do have to question whether his theory about full squatting (thighs massaging intestines, etc.) applies to females. I think the lifting off position, or half squat, is even more natural for women, as this is the only way we can squat while pregnant.

Clarification to Louise:
What I said in my post was that I didn't know why the doctor would discuss estrogen with me, because I am not yet in menopause; not that I didn't know why I was not in menopause.

Got it Sue. Your post makes sense now.